What does it mean to be ISO 9001 Certified?
Quality management is an ongoing process for many businesses and manufacturers globally. The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) provides rigorous quality assurance through management systems, such as the ISO 9001:2015. The ISO quality management protocol exists on seven foundational quality management principles (QMPs) that are designed so businesses can operate effectively, create quality products, and exceed customer satisfaction. Being ISO certified is like a nod of approval from global manufacturing and business management gods. The 7 quality principles of ISO certification are implemented by our team in many different ways at Nylacarb Corporation.
What are Quality Management Principles of ISO Certification?
Each QMP can be broken down into the rationale of why the principles are important, how they benefit the organization, and how to improve the performance of the principles. The quality management principles are:
- Customer Focus
- Engagement of People
- Process Approach
- Evidence-Based Decision Making
- Relationship Management
Additionally, the implementation of these principles are encouraged via a process approach referred to as the PDCA cycle (Plan-Do-Check-Act) and risk-based thinking.
The PDCA Cycle Promotes the Implementation of Quality Management Principles
We can look at the principles of quality management and compare them to how Nylacarb implements and prioritizes these principles as an organization.
- Nylacarb has a strong customer focus. As a family owned and operated manufacturing company, we strongly value relationships and communication with our customers. We continue to strive to meet customer needs and expectations. Along with providing a clear customer experience from quote, to order placement, through production and delivery, we love hearing feedback from customers. The desire to be customer focused is why we encourage our customers to respond to our Customer Satisfaction Survey. Because we believe customer focus is important, our quality management team reads each one.
- Our leadership is dedicated to providing a culture with outstanding quality expectations. Our quality policy is posted at multiple locations throughout our facility. This visual reminder helps establish a culture of excellence for our employees. “WE WILL STRIVE TO DELIVER QUALITY PRODUCTS, ON-TIME, WHILE CONTINUALLY IMPROVING OUR EFFICIENCY” F-5.2 REV 5 . Our leadership team is composed of 4 principle individuals: Scott Cooley, Frank Cooley, Doug Cooley, and Tina Beard. Each leader has been active in their role and working together for over 20 years.
Engagement of People
- We love empowering employees to do the best work they can. We encourage quality products by using a point system with our machine operators. Each quarter our employees are eligible to receive a bonus, however, depending on the number of “points” they receive due to oversights they can lose their bonus. We believe extrinsic reward systems like this help encourage our employees to maintain focus in their work and strive for the highest quality products. We also provide ongoing training for our employees, and regroup with every shift’s entire team on Monday mornings.
- We recognize that although we have many moving parts, we are all one organization looking toward the same goal. Our leadership has assigned each shift a foreman, and quality control personnel. Additionally, our shipping department communicates to our machine operations department to ensure that we are operating at the highest efficiency. Our processes are still improving as we currently are integrating technology into the efficient communication of all our departments.
- We constantly are looking for ways to improve. Whether we are expanding our facility, investing in new technology, furthering our own education, or implementing more efficient processes we keep progress in the forefront of our organizational objectives. We plan, implement, track, and audit our internal and external processes to provide a comprehensive guide to continue to improve our company.
Evidence-based Decision Making
- Our decision making process is based on many years of experience, guided expertise of those internal and externally involved in the organization, and balancing risk / opportunities. Thus, we use a SWOT model in analyzing our company and the decisions we make. By recognizing our strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats we are better able to make highly effective decisions for our company.
- Our relationship with interested parties doesn’t only include our customers. It expands to our suppliers, our tool makers, and other collaborators. We maintain communication with these relationships on the leadership level. Our top management team is responsible for maintaining and improving these relationships. Additionally, we build trust and maintain security with our suppliers by requiring a supplier quality survey from our suppliers every 6 months. Those who uphold these quality standards stay on our approved supplier list.
ISO Certification Means High Quality Manufacturing
The International Organization for Standardization provides us with a credible and audited promise to our customers. Our manufacturing facility operates with professionalism and efficiency. ISO certification is evidence of the gravity of quality management implementation. We stand on and exhibit all of the quality management principles at Nylacarb. Thus, we continually improve our efficiency and raise standards for quality.
What to learn more about our company’s principles? Follow us on social media or contact us today!